Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Broken Bone, A Healed Mind

As you may or may not know, I am across the pond in Spain. This means that my communication has been more infrequent than my usual paucity. Thus, I will have to indulge everything that has happened from early January until this very second. I understand that it sounds horribly boring, but I am awesome so I will continue. Prego.

I spent a wonderful Christmas break in Colorado with my family; mostly working and snowboarding. We laughed, we sang, we played charades.

Like I said before, I also went snowboarding often. With el niño blowing snow into Colorado with hurricane ferocity, the snow was great. Tourists were kept at bay (in Texas, mostly) by the Denver storms, and the champagne powder was everywhere. I made it up (and down) the slopes seven times, enough to make any boy smile. Here is a picture of my girl friend and I on a perfect blue bird day.


My last day, however, was the best. The snow sprayed my face at every turn and I only met one overall-clad Texan on the slopes. I bounced and carved through perfect turns in and out of the trees with a perma-grin on my face and a twinkle in my eye. Everything that was good in the world was in Winter Park that day. My last run was the highlight; a beautiful tree run along timberline down through the trees, ending finally in a stretch of VW-sized moguls. It was 3:30 at that time, and I called it a day. As I made my way down the final stretch, I could see the parking lot in the distance. I had made it through seven days snowboarding, injury-free. But the angel of darkness, dressed in pink overalls wearing a pigtail, stopped me (but mostly my shoulder) in my tracks. (In other words, I was flying down a “green” trail and caught an edge trying to get out of the way of some girl who was sitting down beneath a small, hidden dropoff, successfully breaking the tip of my clavicle). Here I am, sling and all, sad as can be.

After a day of crying (honestly…I was an emotional rollercoaster…think pregnant woman), I visited the orthopedist. If I had to have surgery, there is no way I could go to Spain. Obviously, the fracture was aligned so that everything will heal on its own in about six weeks.

After the long, arduous trip across the Atlantic, I stayed in Sevilla for one night before heading to Rome with Carine. With a sling in one arm and a backpack in the other, I boarded the Ryanair 747. Rome was incredible in every way—beautiful architecture, delicious food, and every other good thing one could say about a place.

I won’t go into detail about my adventures in Rome entirely because three more pages explaining every unique aspect and element of every church I visited would be about as fun as reading my blog about the kayaks. Just know that I loved Rome, and reciprocally, Rome loved me. Here are some photos from our three full days there:

Next, Carine and I traveled to Athens, where we were greeted by words that looked more like mathematical equations than sentences. After a few extremely funny jokes I made about sigma, alpha, beta, etc., we saw the sites. Athens is not as intrinsically beautiful as Rome, but is nevertheless an incredible city. The acropolis was obviously one of the highlights of the trip.

After another day of history classes, we decided to venture outside of Athens to a city called Naplio. It is a beautiful coastal town about 2.5 hours from Athens. Atop the city lies an enormous Venetian castle, built in the 17th century to guard from people I think (whaaat?). Anyway, it was a beautiful place, even in the middle of winter:

Now is the end...more to come.

8 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Hey man it looks like you are having a great time over there, thats awesome. I had a friend do the samething on our last snowboarding trip but his was on the first day we got there so that sucked. Well i hope your trip is going good and im looking forward to hearing more man. later

6:24 AM

 
Blogger Cal said...

i have to say, i think that your injury came because you had partied so hard with us on a previous occasion. we took all you had to give...
but it was fun.

8:02 AM

 
Blogger abby said...

i laughed when i saw that you used the words "intrinsically beautiful" in your blog. the pictures are beautiful!

8:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds fun...dude you called her your girlfriend...man this is serious...please tell me you parkoured your way through athens

9:23 AM

 
Blogger Anthony said...

i'm so glad that you realize how funny you are!

9:42 AM

 
Blogger Palindroman said...

"recipricolly, Rome loved me back"



amazing

11:38 AM

 
Blogger Ian said...

next time I loan you or your bro somethin' i'm gonna' keep better tabs on it! I saw the pic of you packin up for spain, smiling jovially while wearing MY green long sleeve long johns! And they're all the way in Spain now! I'm chargin' a stinky sweat tax.

12:29 PM

 
Blogger Anthony said...

hmm, i think that my latest post should entertain you. i flexed my pretentious humor muscle a little.

3:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home